Monday, April 23, 2007

I feel that the virtual world is still a long way off from public education. I could see it used in secondary as an advanced course. The cost and building requirements do not seem feasible. Kim wanted to take her kids to the Battle of Gettysburg and this would have to all be built. It would be a great learning tool to be able to transport students back to that time period. They could actually be a soldier fighting along side the North or South. I feel that as the technology expands this will become available. I can see where you would be able to choose important times in history and be placed in the middle of it. Technology will improve and the cost will come down. The ability to have the audio would be a necessity for me.
I do not think that virtual high schools should completely replace the traditional classroom. In rural areas, small school districts or poor school districts virtual classes would be a great asset. This would allow a school to offer classes that they would not normally be able to offer. I feel that there should be a limit on how many online courses a high school student should be allowed to take. Funding would be an issue for administrators since they receive money for the number of students in the school. I do not think that they would be too supportive if funding is affected. I talked with a home school parent about virtual classes and it would be a great experience for these students. I do know how parents feel that they can give their child a complete education on their own. Virtual classes would allow these students to take classes in the home setting but by more qualified teachers. This would be a better option than correspondence or videotaped lectures.
I think we have yet to see all the possibilities available through these two mediums. As a elementary teacher I do not see an immediate change in my technology philosophy. I think I am personally a long way from using Second Life and online classes in pubic school.

No comments: